Built in 1768, the courthouse in Edenton is one of the finest Georgian style courthouses in the country. Now a State Historic Site under the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, the courthouse has been completely restored and has resumed its role for court and civic functions. HagerSmith Design was responsible for the restoration of the exterior of the building and for the restoration and adaptive reuse of the interior. Due to damage from water penetration and other causes, structural repairs were provided to the roof, framing, masonry, and windows/shutters. Interior spaces were also restored, including the courtroom (based on ghost marks and found artifacts) and the paneled assembly hall to their original condition.
Chowan County Courthouse
- Conditions Assessment
- Historic Finishes Analysis
- Complete Restoration Design
- Construction Administration
- Client- NC Department of Cultural Resources, State Historic Sites
- North Carolina AIA Design Merit Award Winner