Built in 1927, Kimball Hall is the former dining hall for the Palmer Memorial Institute, an African-American preparatory school, defunct since 1971, whose campus is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The project goal was to return Kimball Hall to service as a multi-purpose meeting facility/exhibit hall.
During the restoration process, much of the building was repaired and refinished to match the original finishes. The rear wing of the building was reconfigured to serve the assembly areas. On the lower level, two handicapped toilets were constructed out of the former pantry area, and the former kitchen office was outfitted as a catering kitchen.
Energy efficiency and accessibility of the building were key factors in the improvements made. A new elevator tower was also constructed.